Now Open! Reclaiming my Language is a course to support silent speakers to reclaim their language.
The First Peoples’ Cultural Council’s program Reclaiming My Language (RML) provides up to $35,000 in funding to support a course for silent speakers, those who have a good understanding of their language but do not speak it. Silent speakers include people who spoke their language before attending residential school or people who grew up hearing their language and understand it and want to begin speaking.
“I was just amazed at myself how the language just started to pour out, because I already heard it as a child, it was there deep down in my heart,” said Sarafine Stewart, a RML program participant from Upper Nicola Band, “This program has helped me to have that release.”
The RML program uses Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to explore the connection between how we think and how it affects our behaviors. It is a 10-week course with sessions of up to three hours per week. In addition to funding, RML also includes training for program facilitators, ongoing support, course materials, videos and workbooks. If you would like to learn more about RML and review the application guidelines, please visit the program page.
Register for our online info session!
Join our online information session where program staff will give an overview of the course and submission requirements and answer any questions!
Thursday March 9, 2023 from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m
Click here to register!
Applications will be accepted until May 31, 2023
Who Can Apply?
- First Nations communities/Governments/Bands/Tribal Councils located in B.C.
- Indigenous Cultural, Language and Education centres in B.C., including Indigenous academic institutions
- Indigenous organizations in B.C. (incorporated and unincorporated not-for-profit organizations)
- Indigenous community groups that include ad-hoc committees defined as a temporary committee set up to do a specific task and are not a permanent standing committee
- Previous applicants may apply if all reporting on previous funding from FPCC (all programs) or the First Peoples’ Cultural Foundation (FPCF) have been completed
How to Apply
FPCC Language Program will be accepting applications for RML through the FPCC Grant Portal.
For more information about the program, submission tests and requirements, and to read the guidelines, click here.
Please share this funding opportunity with your network – download the program poster here.
We are Here to Provide Support
Please contact Melinda, Language Program Coordinator, via email at RML@fpcc.ca if you have questions about the course or would like assistance with the application.
Connect with Us
To receive FPCC news and funding announcements, please sign up for our email list here.
To view all current FPCC funding opportunities please visit our Grants page.
Follow FPCC on social media for updates: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube